- Yield : Serves 6
- plants, washed and cut into slices or slit and kept whole - 4 long egg
- oil - ¼ cup
- onion, chopped - 1 medium size
- chopped bell pepper, any color - 1 tbs
- crushed cilantro - 1 tbs fresh
- salt - 1 level tsp
- turmeric powder - ½ tsp
- coriander powder - ½ tsp
- cumin powder - ½ tsp
- red or green chili paste - ½ tsp
- garlic paste - 1 tsp
- ginger paste - 1 tsp
- tomato, liquefied with one cup of water - 1 medium size
- canned tomato sauce - 4 ozs.
- tomato ketchup - 4 tbs
- brown sugar (optional) - ½ tsp
- fenugreek dried leaves - 1 tbs
- lemon juice - 1 tbs
- potatoes, sliced and fried separately (optional) - 2 large
In a deep wok, heat oil on medium and saute the
onions until golden.
Add the bell pepper, cilantro, salt, turmeric powder,
coriander seeds, cumin seeds, chili, garlic and
Add the eggplants and stir to coat them with the
spicy mixture. Pour the liquefi ed tomato, stir and
cover to cook on low heat until the eggplants are
tender. You may add more water if the eggplants
are not yet cooked.
Add the tomato sauce, ketchup, brown sugar,
fenugreek leaves and lemon juice. Stir until the
mixture is thick.
Add the fried potatoes and mix with the eggplants.
Serve hot with roti, paratha, khichri and bread.
Bajri Roti is also good with this dish.